Marrow Matters - Bone Marrow Transplant - Aplastic Anemia  
 
 


 

Aplastic Anemia SEPTIC SHOCK

 
 
Google Scholar

 
 

What is Septic Shock?

While Sepsis is the infection, Septic Shock is the resulting problem, and the major reason why you want to try to prevent an infection. Septic shock is life-threatening low blood pressure (shock) and organ failure due to sepsis. In septic shock, there is critical reduction in tissue perfusion; acute failure of multiple organs, including the lungs, kidneys, and liver, can occur. Common causes in immunocompetent patients include many different species of gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria.

Septic Shock in immunocompromised patients may result as an infection from bacterial or fungal species. Signs include fever, hypotension (low blood pressure), oliguria (low urine output), and confusion. Diagnosis is primarily clinical combined with culture results showing infection; early recognition and treatment is critical.

Medication Treatment of Sepsis

Treatment may include aggressive fluid resuscitation, antibiotics, surgical excision of infected or necrotic tissue and drainage of pus, and supportive care.

prevention is the name of the game

While not all infections can be prevented, particularly in people with compromised immune systems, anyone with a transplant must do all they can to avoid making contact with a person with an infection, and taking actions that lead to infections.

Sepsis can be fatal; you don't want to take any chances.